Puligny-Montrachet is often regarded as the finest white wine producing village in Burgundy. Originally called just Puligny until 1879 when it
added the name of its most famous vineyard Montrachet, while the AOC itself was created in 1937. Located between Chassagne-Montrachet
and Meursault, the village appellation covers an area of 111 hectares. These vineyards are on deeper brown limestone soils at the foot of the
slope, this flatter land contributes to a high water-table in Puligny which explains why there are only a few cellars below ground. Village level
wines from top growers can be very good, displaying a floral elegance with a pronounced acidity and minerality.