Clos Saint-Jacques is situated on the Combe de Lavaux hillside just west of the Gevrey-Chambertin village between Lavaux Saint-Jacques and
Les Cazetiers. Ideally positioned on a steep south/south-east facing slope at an altitude of 290 to 350 metres with 6.70 hectares under vine.
It is enclosed by stone walls along three sides (the true definition of a Clos) and there are five owners who each have parcels that run from
top to bottom, essential for consistent quality. The geology is complex with numerous transverse faults and different base rock components.
In the highest part the soils are shallow and very stony, but going down the slope they gradually become deeper, finer-grained and less stony.
Clos Saint-Jacques was classified as a Première Cuvée by Dr. Jules Lavalle in 1855 and having been omitted from the 1930's AOC classification
for Grand Cru status it is still regarded by producers as the equivalent of a Grand Cru.