Clos de la Roche is one of five Grand Crus in Morey-Saint-Denis and takes its name from a large rock (roche) used in Celtic times for rituals.
The original Clos was classified as a Première Cuvée by Jules Lavalle in 1855 with a total area of 4.57 hectares. Several neighbouring climats:
Mochamps, Froichots, Fremières, Chabiots and Monts-Luisants-Bas were added at the time of the AOC Grand Cru status decree in 1936.
Another expansion occurred in 1971 when parts of Genavrières and Chaffots were included by the INAO. This additional territory has taken
today's surface area to 16.9 hectares. Clos de la Roche is east facing on a gentle slope at an altitude of 270 to 300 metres. The brown topsoil,
a mix of clay and limestone scree with large boulders very close to the surface is hardly 30 cm deep in some places. These hard rocky soils
make for a well-structured, powerful yet elegant wine capable of long ageing.